Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Day Back At School

 Today was my first day back and I am tired. But I enjoyed it so much. I do love working with these kids and I will be in this classroom for 6 weeks. They are so special. It is the extremely handicapped class and each student is awesome in their own way.

Some are in wheel chairs, most cannot speak or even feed themselves, but that is not Who they are. That is just the body that they were given. They will break your heart because you wish so much better for them. At the same time, they give us so much back. Most of them are basically non verbal, and cannot tell you with words what they want or need. They speak with their hearts and they have so much to say. Also, you do not need words when you hear their laughter. The sound grabs your heart and it doesn't let go.You know that in that minute, they are truly happy.

Each child has their own personality. And although they are mostly happy and smiling, you know when they are upset or having a very bad day. When they cry and we don't know why, we feel so sad for them. Just like everyone else, they need love and hugs and encouragement. The smallest acknowledgment will light up their faces.

The families of these children have a hard life. I believe it is always 1 step forward and 3 steps back on a regular basis. Sharing and trusting us with the care of their babies is not an easy thing to do. I would like the parents to know that Giving them a feeling of  happiness, comfort and contentment  while I am caring for them is my goal. Treating them with dignity and respect is a priority. I hope at the end of the day, these special angels know how much they are loved and I have made a difference in their lives.

No comments:

Plaxo Badge