Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 25, 2009

Yesterday was sort of my Birthday....

Not really, but it is the 6th Anniversary of my Gastric Bypass Surgery. Sept 24 changed my life, Really. 2003 was one of the worst years of my life, however, that one decision made the rest of my life better. I am not going to dwell on the bad stuff, like having to quit working because of the DD Fibromyalgia and OsteoArthritis. My husbands dad passed away May 5th 2003. My Dad passed away on November 26. We lost both our dads that year. But making the decision to pursue WLS was a good thing.

When I met with my surgeon for the first time, Dr. Totoro, I weighed 288lbs. I had lost and gained the same hundered pounds more times than I can count. I just didn't have it in me to try again. So on September 24, I went to Mercy Hospital and had the procedure done. Of course the Surgery was painful, but I really don't remember too much about it. I was just so anxious to start my new life. I know that 2 weeks before the surgery, I had to go on a liquid diet. And then afterwards for 2 more weeks, I was on liquids...But eventually I could eat. My weight started coming off and I have never had any trouble.

I initially lost down to 138 lbs. My Mom and husband were telling me I needed to start eating more as I was too "skinny". Well in my mind, there was no way I could ever be skinny enough. However, after trying on Bathing Suits that summer, OMG...I knew then. So I slowly started to gain a bit of it back. I was terrified that I would start to gain and never be able to stop. But I did.
And I got to around 155 lbs. Then one winter, I gained up to 160, and I started to panic. But guess what...as soon as I started moving around more, that weight came right back off. Last year was the hardest though as I was having so much problem with my knee and joints. I got shot after shot of steroids. Then I had to take the prednisone. Then I had surgery to fix my knee. I gained back more weight. My highest was 172. But once again, after winter when I could get out move around more, the weight came off. And I don't mean I had to go on one of those crash diets...It would just start coming off. Then I got a little more disciplined with making good choices when I eat and walking more, I am once again around 155. This is my perfect weight. I would probably be more near 145 if I could have a tummy tuck and excess skin removed. But since I am 52, and my modeling days are over..lol...no tummy tuck for me...
If I had excessive loose skin as some WLS patients do, I would be more willing to deal with the pain. However, I do not. so...

I just thought I would say Happy Birthday to me and post a couple of pre and post op photos...
Let me see if I can find some ...be right back...

Or maybe not...

No comments:

Plaxo Badge